Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Thread Garden and Bead Time in Ventura Outing..


I finally got to Bead Time and the connected store of Thread Garden. It is literally two blocks from our Apartment. And I am only a few weeks away from moving! OMGosh the story of my life fa sure! Hey at least I found it and was able to enjoy the afternoon there on Saturday.

I had no idea that there were so many kinds of Embroidery Threads! OMGosh! I was amazed! And I mean if you are so inclined do take the trip to see them (if in LA) and feast your eyes on some amazing hand dyed threads, silk threads, cords, books and so much more!
Thread Garden

By the time I noticed the beads I was overwhelmed, which doesn't happen much to me in a bead Shoppe! I really liked their selection of gemstone beads, fresh water pearls, and of course seed beads galore! Also a gleaming collection of Donut gemstones! They have a variety of classes and are extremely helpful there! I loved the experience and have the purchases to prove it!

I decided on something I have heard about it and wanting to try. Kumihimo or Japanese Braiding. So I bought a book about doing bracelets, necklaces, cords (it is in Japanese!) with lots of pictures and easy to view steps! I also got a Kumihimo Plate, and some bright Orange Macrame cord.. :)

I also ordered a round Kumihimo disc and plastic cord bobbins as well as a booklet in English on the subject. I plan on trying it all out when we relocate to Huntington Beach in a few weeks!

I did find out this about Kumihimo braiding, which I find very interesting that I am attracted to something that has to do with Japanese Buddhism, since I am a Shin Buddhist, which is Japanese Buddhism! Hmmm....

From Primitive Originals:

In the early 8th century, when the Buddhist religion spread in Japan, people began to use decorative braids in ceremonies. The making of these beautiful, usually silk, braids became an art, and later, people used colorful braids to decorate their clothing, hang ritual banners, lace samurai armor together, tie robes, and decorate weapons. Braids can be found in many cultures, but the Japanese developed the highest order of braiding techniques and complexity.