Friday, December 4, 2009

Weekly Southern California Embroidery Artist Interview

Enjoy the Eye Candy and inspiration from Kat Coyle! I Hope your Holiday Season of creating is rocking on fun!


Stitch ON Grrl Shanti Johnson of www.lotusinthemud.com and roving reporter for HEN in Southern California is excited to welcome Kat Coyle today of Los Angeles, California. Her Embroidery Work is bright, fun and beautifully detailed!

Kathleen Coyle is an Artistan, Embroidery Artist and Hand Knit Designer. Her book, Boho Baby Knits is a collection of imaginative toys, garments and knitted patterns for babies and toddlers. Kat is also Co-Author of Once Upon a Time: Creative Writing Fun for kids.. Her work can be seen on Flickr and her blog, Kathleen Coyle. She teaches Embroidery and Knitting/Crocheting Classes at Common Threads Studio in Pasadena and Wisdom Arts Laboratory in Pasadena, California


Stitch ON Grrl: How did you get your start in Embroidery and when, where?

Kat: A family friend, taught me how to embroider, and crochet, when I was about 9 years old. She was a really fun person who loved to laugh, I feel lucky to have learned a craft that takes patience from someone who was so full of joy. I embroidered a lot through out my child hood. It was a very popular craft in the 1970’s. Recently, I came back to it by way of teaching needlework to children.

Stitch ON Grrl: Why do you enjoy Embroidery?

Kat: I enjoy the process of making stitches, but I’m also very interested in decorative and narrative images, textiles, drawing and painting. Embroidery is a way of bringing all my interests together.

Stitch ON Grrl: What is it about Embroidery that keeps you coming back for more?

Kat: Ideas for new images and ways to express them keep me motivated.

Stitch ON Grrl: What is your favorite type of Embroidery?

Kat: I have a true love for the beautifully decorative, and vibrant embroidered textiles from Mexico and Guatemala.

Stitch ON Grrl: What got you into teaching Embroidery classes? And why?

Kat: I have been teaching children how to knit and crochet, and embroidery was a natural extension of learning needlecraft. Also, the drawings that the kids make are so inspiring; I was very excited about the possibilities of them embroidering their own artwork. The sample I made for the class is “Stitch Work”. I was hoping that the kids would make their own stitch work books.

Stitch ON Grrl: What is your style of Embroidery?

Kat: The stitches I use are very basic but I love details and delight in tiny stitches and am very drawn to color. I don’t know what my style is, but I’m not a fan of counting stitches or following any set rules.

Stitch ON Grrl: What would you like to learn as far as Embroidery is concerned?

Kat: I’m always interested in learning something new. Right now, I’m eager to explore embroidery in a painterly fashion, by that I mean to approach embroidery with a painters energy by revealing spontaneous imagery, working with adding and subtracting layers.

Stitch ON Grrl: May we see a book out in the future on Embroidery by you?

Kat: I am starting to daydream about this possibility.

Stitch ON Grrl: What and Where are your upcoming classes that you will be teaching in Southern California?

Kat: I have a crochet class scheduled this Sunday and the Wisdom Arts Lab; I haven’t yet set up any classes for the new year.

Stitch ON Grrl: Any advice to a Newbie in Embroidery?

Kat: Study embroidery that you admire and be inspired!

Stitch ON Grrl: Thank you for being with us today and letting us get to know you! We are honored to have you as part of our series on HEN.

Kat: Thank you so much for your interest in my stitch work.

A note to all you HEN junkies from Stitch ON Grrl:

I hope you all enjoyed the interview and become even more inspired to create your hearts desire with thread, a hoop, some fabric and a needle!

Please leave comments and questions! Thanks!

If you would like to be featured and interviewed and you reside in the Southern Cali area, then leave a comment!